Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Skating

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 90 04:07:09 EST
Subject: Skating

  Vickie here.

***  8 (eight) weeks at #1 on MTV's 120 Minutes' College Chart!!! ***

   I'm on Cloud 11 as I write this because we just got back from
seeing Torvill & Dean. For us, Torvill & Dean coming to Kansas City
is somewhat akin to oh, say, Kate coming to Kansas City. Unless we
somehow get to see Jane Siberry live this year, this will be the most
important event we'll attend in 1990 (you can tell how pessimistic
I am about Kate touring). Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean are the
greatest ice dancers in the history of ice dancing. They won the gold
medal in the 1984 Olympics with extrordinary "Bolero".
This might be silly to some, but just being in the same ROOM with
them has given me a thrill I haven't experienced since I met Kate.
We waited for them after the show and got their autographs. They're
very, very nice people, just as I knew they would be.
   I'm a big skating nut but I detest 99% of the music most skaters use.
Torvill & Dean always use excellent music. The best piece was a very
complex dance using music from Philip Glass' "Akhnaten". I talked to
Christopher about the piece and he agreed with me that he doesn't
know why so many skaters use such bland music when there's so much
good music out there. I *almost* made a tape of music for them but I
decided not to. Now, of course, I wish I had. I did that one other
time when a skating exibition came through. I gave one of the skaters
4 tapes of music and told him that if he didn't like the music to
please pass them around to the other skaters in hopes that they would
end up with someone who would appreciate them (and maybe get some
ideas? worth a try).
   The only times I've ever heard REALLY cool music used in skating:
Allan Schramm skated to Peter Gabriel's "Rhythm of the Heat" in a
Professional competition and, also in a Professional competition,
a couple (I can't remember their names) skated to Malcolm McLaren's
"Madame Butterfly". Roslynn Sumners skated to Julia Fordham's "Happy
Ever After", and I once saw a Russian couple (long, long time ago)
skate to an instrumental bit from Genesis' "Wind & Wuthering" LP (I
don't remember, but I think maybe it was from Eleventh Earl of Mar)
in an amatuer competition.
  Music I would die to see skated to:
Any Cocteau Twins would do but I would especially like to see an
ice dance to "Pandora".
I'd like to see fancy footwork done to the instrumental Irish bit
from Kate's "Jig of Life". That would be the ultimate test for any
skater, especially if they could clap along to Kate's claps.
Jane's "Dancing Class".
Dead Can Dance's "Frontier" (either version)
Sheila Chandra's "Raqs"
Oh hell, actually, ANY Cocteau Twins, ANY Kate, ANY Jane, ANY Dead
Can Dance, Any Sheila Chandra, ANY Najma, ANY GOOD MUSIC AT ALL!!!
I do believe they all should hire me as a musical consultant! :-)
I am so sick & tired of Neil Diamond, Barbara Streisand & Janet
Jackson on ice.

So, oh well, does anybody else like skating or am I boring you all
to death???

%   Vickie of         Vickie'n'Chris of Kansas City    katefans@world.std.com  %
%                    "Suspended in Gaffa" KKFI 90.1fm                          %
%          Kansas City's alternative alternative to boyz with guitars          %