Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tangerine Dream

From: "Daniel S. Efran" <de0t+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 90 13:19:17 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Tangerine Dream

If anybody has any questions about Tangerine Dream (like, "what albums
should I buy?") I'm a good person to email.  I've got most of their
albums and I know which ones are similar (so if you like a specific one
I can tell you which others you'll probably like, etc.).  In general, I
like to talk about them.  I'm not saying I'm an expert--that would be a
dangerous thing to say even if it was true.  But I'm a dedicated fan.

About the laugh on TSW:
(no, I'm not REALLY bringing it up again)
It always sounds to me like the laugh at the beginning of "Wipe Out"
(that old surfing-era song, you know) (maybe the title is one word, I
don't know).
This would indicate a definite connection to the "water" theme of  _The
Fog_ -- learning to swim; surfing; wiping out and having to swim; etc.
What do you think?  (for example, do you think I'm serious?)  It sounds
pretty silly, but go back and listen to the laugh (and the other one, if
you can find it) and see if you can hear a connection.  It's even at the
same place in the song, and there's room for you to say "wipe out"
before the music starts.

	---The "How long can we spend discussing two seconds of audio?" Sphere

P.S.  No, this is not a sarcastic complaint about the idiotic
discussions that sometimes arise from two seconds of audio or one
incorrect song title in an interview.  I actually enjoy them.  They're
amusing.
P.P.S.  Somebody told me that one of the times Kate presses "execute" in
Deeper Understanding the little "beep" noises are actually bird noises.
I heard it when my friend pointed it out, but now I can't find it again.
 Was this just a mutual hallucination we had, or is there something to
it?  If there is, it opens up a whole realm of symbolism:  the
"sensuality" and organic-ness of computers, etc., etc.  If not, it opens
up a whole realm of pointless discussion about what those tiny little
noises actually are.  Two seconds of *background* audio, no less!
(I really do want to know if anyone else can hear this.)