Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag

From: chris@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 03:50:43 EST
Subject: Mailbag

Chris here pawing through the mailbag...

   |>oug answered this question...
 >> 1) Why are Werner Herzog and Terry Gilliam given thanks in the
 >> album's credits?
 >
 >Kate likes both of their works.  Especially "Brazil" and "Nosferatu".
 >Kate borrowed some music from Werner Herzog's movie "Nosferatu" and
 >used it in her song, "Hello Earth".

   It is also possible Werner Herzog was Kate's connection to H.R. Gieger,
designer of "Alien", who built the_Cloudbuster_.
  Two other things about Kate and Terry Gilliam. First of course is the
legendary soundtrack album with Kate's cover of the song "Brazil", and
the second is that Kate apparently asked Terry for recommendations for
directors for her video of "Cloudbusting" and Terry sent her to Julian
Doyle, the editor of "Brazil". We believe Terry also put Kate into contact
with Donald Sutherland. There is a rumor that Kate asked Terry to film
"The Ninth Wave". I don't know if this is true or not, but the thought
of Kate's perfectionism and speed of working, and Terry's similar habits,
combined on a project of the scope of "The Ninth Wave",makes the blood run
cold. They would still be working on it today, and we would be expecting
"KBVI" "real soon now".

   KROVETZ@cs.umass.EDU asked:
 >Does anyone know if Kate's appearance on Saturday Night Live
 >was ever rebroadcast?  I think she appeared on the show in 1979.
 >I've never seen it in any of the reruns, and it didn't appear
 >during the 15th anniversary show.  Are there legal problems
 >involved with rebroadcasting it?

It was repeated once during that season, one month before I got my
first VCR (aarrrggh). The show was hosted by Eric Idle of Monty Python,
who introduced her by saying (if my memory serves me correctly) "I've
brought someone with me from England, she's very wonderful, Kate Bush"
This show has been released on video-cassette with Kate cut out, (even
though her picture is on the box), and the same holds true with the
syndicated versions of the show on Nick-at-Night and other places. In
order to make the shows fit a sixty minute time slot, everything good
had to be cut, leaving only bees and cheese-burgers. If you look closely
at the closing credits of the video, you can see Kate in a trench coat,
her costume for _Them Heavy People_, standing with the cast.

   dsac!discg1!T.Atwell@cis.ohio-state.edu, asked about British videos:

>One last question:  When stating the video is not useful, please explain your
>meaning? (does it not play at all?  is the sound warbled?)

British video is on the PAL (Phase Alternate Lines) system, American video
is on the NTSC (National Television Standards Commission, or as the British
say, Never Twice the Same Colour). The result when playing a British
videotape on an American VCR is unwatchable. Alternating light and dark
lines, chipmunk sound, and nothing else. If you knew exactly what was on
the tape you could make a guess as to what you were seeing. Why do they
have a different system? ... if you want to know, e-mail for my free pamphlet
"NTSC - Doggie-doo-doo or what?"

   JROSSI@AAMRL.AF.MIL asked:

 >mentioned Alice Cooper and Sun Arise.  Pardon my ignorance but that
 >reference went way over my head.  I don't have a problem with Love it to
 >Death (one of my favorite albums of the period) but I don't follow the
 >Sun Arise cover thing.  Has somebody else, more recently perhaps, covered
 >Sun Arise?
 >
 >Second, just out of curiousity, did Burning Airlines get its name from
 >the Brian Eno tune?  If so, the incompleted "give you so much more" is

  Kate heard Rolf Harris'_Sun Arise_ as a kid and it served as a partial
inspiration for the song _The Dreaming_. Rolf played digeridoo on _The
Dreaming_.
  Yes to number two. They quoted the song in a flyer they sent with a
T-shirt we ordered years ago.

                                       Chris of Chris'n'Vickie
                                           of Kansas City
                                                chris@world.std.com

PS. Our address may soon be changing to katefans@world.std.com
We will post other paths as soon as we figure enough of this stuff out.