Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sat In Your Lap - revisited

From: jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (bring the noise!)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 90 19:31:52 -0500
Subject: Re: Sat In Your Lap - revisited
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9001162320.AA00745@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu> writes:
>I think that Jon's comments on "Sat in Your Lap" are all good.

Thanks |>oug.  I too appreciate your insights, since I never thought
that the character had actually *tried* to achieve anything, but now I
see the error of my ways.  I had interpreted the following line:

>     I hold a cup of wisdom, but there is nothing within.

to mean that she held what she thought to be something concrete while
in reality it was just false knowledge, but your interpretation
works well within your scenario as well.

>When Kate was younger and more naive, she looked up to people with
>more knowledge than her -- thinking of them as wiser.  Now that she's
>learned what they know, but she feels no wiser than before.  All this
>knowledge has done her no good.
>
>I think that it is this pattern of becoming disillusioned through
>gaining knowledge -- of climbing mountains only to find even taller
>mountains -- that has made the character in the song lazy:

This is great.  I hadn't considered this before, but it really makes
the song much more poignant.  Although I still can't understand why
the music is so frenzied if the character is so lazy.

"I got so much trouble on my mind - refuse to lose
 Here's your ticket; hear the drummer get wicked!"

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |