Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Area

From: chris@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 90 04:38:07 EST
Subject: Re: Area

Vickie here (again),

>From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
>Subject: more on c'est la mort
>
>Woj's recommendation of AREA is seconded by me...  I just picked up
>_Between_Purple_and_Pink_ and it's great.  They do have at least one
>other record besides _The_Perfect_Dream_ but the title eludes me for
>the moment.

  Here's a discography of Area, not including "Between Purple & Pink":
  Available from (as far as I know, I haven't tried to get them yet):
    AudioMedia, P.O. Box 1792, Eau Claire, WI 54701
       "White Canvas New Hope" cassette                Office fil-91
       "Better Than God"       cassette compilation    Office fil-93
       "Bigger Than God"       cassette compilation    Office fil 103
       "Radio Caroline"        cassette                Office fil-111
       "Radio Caroline"        LP                      Office fil-101

   Available from (definitely):
     C'est La Mort, P.O. Box 91, Baker, LA 70714
       "Radio Caroline"        CD                C'est La Mort CLM-CD018
       "The Perfect Dream"     LP                C'est La Mort CLM-LP006
       "The Perfect Dream"     cassette          C'est La Mort CLM-CS006
       "The Perfect Dream"     CD                C'est La Mort CLM-CD006

>And one more C'est La Mort recommendation - the group Heavenly Bodies.
>Apparently it incorporates some ex-Dead Can Dance personnel.  It
>sounded very like your typical floaty 4AD kind of thing.  Their track
>on Doctor Death's 3 ("Rains On Me") is excellent.

  YES! YES! YES! Heavenly Bodies are GREAT!!! Their only album is
 called "Celestial" and  is one of my favorite albums. The band
 consists of Caroline Seaman (This Mortal Coil's "Filagree & Shadow"),
 Tony Waerea, Yvette Pinker, James Pinker (he appeared on Dead Can Dance's
 "Spleen & Ideal") and Scott Rodger.

In reference to Woj's mention of the group Area
I have two works-"The Perfect Dream" & "Between Purple & Pink".
Here's a short review of TPD from Option magazine.
I have more reviews that I'll post soon.

Option-Sept. 1988
Area "The Perfect Dream"
   "This perfect dream is an extremely wistful and precious one.
The music is reminiscent of what might occur is Duritti Collumn
were to mate with the Cocteau Twins, particularly in the case of
"With Louise". The whole album is a fine piece of work, with a
lot of variation within the band's hypnotic and delicate style.
"I'll Gather Flowers" has hints of minimalism, and at times is a
bit like the Penguin Cafe Orchestra with female vocals added.
"Why Should I Worry" is a bit more fast-paced than most of the
songs, with a good sense of percussion. Lynn Canfield's vocals
add a lot of dimension to the band's identity, as her style
is unique and does not seek to emulate others in this genre,
such as Virginia Astley. The album is twee, delicate, winsome
and yes, absoloutely precious, much in the same way a This
Mortal Coil album can be. But if you find that sort of music
enjoyable, as I do, then this album will surely not disappoint
you.           Byline: Maria V. Montgomery

This album is WONDERFUL!!! I like it much better than BP&P,
though I've only just started getting into that LP. TPD is
much more "ethereal" than BP&P.
(By the Way, It's neat that the reviewer mentions Penguin Cafe
Orchestra and Virginia Astley, Chris & I are fans of both of
them and they don't get mentioned enough.)
Area is on C'est La Mort record label,
           P.O. Box 91, Baker, LA 70714
A biography may follow in a few days. I've talked to the big
cheese at C'est La Mort, he's a really nice guy named Woody.
It's a small record company dedicated to releasing quality
music. They are sort of like the American equivalent of 4AD in
England. Other GREAT groups on CLM are Heavenly Bodies-LP"Celestial",
Future Neighbors-LP"Flesh of Love" and Beautiful Pea Green Boat-LP
"Still Life" (I did a set a few weeks ago of "Good-Bands-That-Make-
Beautiful-Music-With-Long-Stupid-Names!"  BPGB were in there, along
with Everything But The Girl, The Ensemble of The Bulgarian
Republic, Black Tape For A Blue Girl, The Bulgarian State Radio
And TV Choir-well, you get the idea). There are lots of other
good groups on C'est La Mort, write for a catalog.

                         That's it,  Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)