Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TSW - finally got it!!

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 89 10:47:35 -0500
Subject: Re: TSW - finally got it!!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1561@adobe.UUCP> adobe!!dkletter@decwrl.dec.com (The Wighat) writes:
>and 'Rocket's Tail' but not as much as the afore mentioned song. I heard
>some positive reviews of the L&A single (is that the second one?) and
>I'm thinking about getting that soon...

The L&A Single is the first single from the album specifically released
on an American label, targeted at Americans.  The first two British/World-
Outside-America singles are "The Sensual World" and "This Woman's Work."
If you have the CD, then there is nothing on the L&A cassette single that
you don't already have (the b-side is "Walk Straight Down The Middle").
On the Sensual World Single, there is an instrumental version of the title
song, which I suppose is nice if you're a completist or are planning on
doing a version of the song with different lyrics.  The B-sides to This
Woman's Work are Be Kind To My Mistakes (previously available on the
soundtrack album to the movie "Castaway") and I'm Still Waiting, which is
unavailable elsewhere.  Have fun trying to track the imports down.

>Anyways, I didn't see this in any postings, but I was wondering if anyone
>else noticed that Mick Karn (of Dali's Car and Japan) plays bass on 'Heads
>We're Dancing'. I thought that that was pretty interesting to see being
>that I'm a big Japan/Dali's Car/Bauhaus/Murphy fan. Any comments?

Mick Karn is a fantastic bass player and does a great job on HWD.
Personally, I prefer the styles of John Giblin and Eberhard Weber.
Maybe it's just because they got to play on the slower songs (although
JG's contribution to Love and Anger is fantastic...)

This leads to an observation of a friend of mine who I believe does
not read love-hounds anymore: he said that on the latest album, unlike
the previous Kate records, you can really hear the contributions of
the guest musicians, and they affect the songs more than on the prior
albums.  Discussion?

Second, a factual question: who plays bass on Ne T'Enfuis Pas?  I
think I remember someone saying it was Eberhard Weber, but I would
like confirmation.

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |