Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK. (Call it the SuranyiSummary, if you like.)

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 89 11:59:46 PST
Subject: MisK. (Call it the SuranyiSummary, if you like.)

1)  I'd first like to apologize to Gary L. Dare and everybody else
who wanted to tape the WNEW interview.  I gave you guys the best
information I had.  I confirmed with Vickie Mapes last night that
what I told you was what the CBS guy told her.  Vickie said, "It wouldn't
surprise me if Kate pulled out at the last minute.  The CBS person told
me that she was supposed to do the David Letterman Show, but that 'it
was decided she needed an evening off.'  Obviously, it was Kate herself
who asked for the evening off."

2)  I have a schedule of when the VH-1 special will be shown again.
This comes from CBS, through Vickie.  However, I have a different schedule
which comes from VH-1, through Andrew Marvick.  These schedules do not
entirely agree!  I have no way of knowing which schedule, if either, is
correct, so I'll post both of them:

Here's the schedule that CBS told Vickie (all times given are Eastern):

Dec. 17, 3:30 pm  (VH-1 told Andy 12:30 pm)
Dec. 19, 10:30 pm  (VH-1 told Andy 6:30 pm)
Dec. 23, 9:30 pm  (This agrees with what VH-1 told Andy)
Dec. 27, 1:00 pm  (This agrees with what VH-1 told Andy)

VH-1 didn't give Andy any additional dates, so the rest of this schedule
is only from CBS:

Jan. 3, 6:30 pm
Jan. 11, 1:00 pm
Jan. 16, 10:30 pm
Jan. 24, 7:00 pm
Feb. 3, 1:30 pm

I guess the best bets are on Dec. 23 and 27, as we have those times from
two sources.

3)  They played the video for L&A last night on _Videospin_, the PBS
show.  As someone posted, the two hosts of this show comment on the
videos they show -- it reminds me of _At The Movies_.  I don't remember
the hosts' names, so I'll call them Host 1 and Host 2.  Here's a
transcript of what they said:

BEFORE VIDEO:

Host 1:  Kate Bush has a pedigree.  She's played in the best studios, with
	 the best musicians, performing the best songs.  She's revered in
	 the music industry as well as the artistic world. For all we
	 know, she probably keeps a real clean house and pays all her
	 bills on time.  Yeah, to put it bluntly -- she's perfect, in my
	 book.  Then again, you've never seen my book and I wouldn't show
	 it to you no matter how much you asked.  As for Kate, she can see
	 my book any time.

L&A shown.

AFTER VIDEO:

Host 1:  There's the large budget of Kate Bush, everyone.  She spent a lot
	 of money on that -- and she probably got a lot of that stuff in
	 her hair.

Host 2:  A lot of that glitter.  You know, something I just found out:
	 Her first number one hit in England was a song called "Wuthering
	 Heights," and first time I ever heard "Wuthering Heights," Pat
	 Benatar did it in the United States.  And I always thought that
	 was sort of like *the* version.  I didn't know. . .

Host 1:  Oh, I didn't know that!  [Referring to Host 2's lack of knowledge
	 of the origin of WH.]

Host 2:  But Kate Bush hit number one with it.  Boy, I like her!  Why she
	 missed in America is beyond me, but maybe this'll turn her
	 around.

Host 1:  She's great.

Host 2:  Yeah.

4)  Adam Curry, that seeming-airhead VJ on MTV, has actually interviewed Kate!
Here's a transcript of what he said Friday morning, just before playing
the L&A video:

"You know that Kate -- Kate Bush actually -- I'm a big fan of Kate Bush.
She stole my heart a long time ago, when I was just a wee tyke.
[Off-stage laughter.]  Five years ago, hey -- a wee tyke.  She invited me
to come over to England to interview her for the show I was doing in The
Netherlands at the time.  It was great.  I was picked up by this real
authentic old guy in a Bentley.  He had the cap on and everything -- you
know, drove through the countryside [makes driving noises].  And, uh,
so we went to her house, and she showed me her studio that she has there,
and, uh, you know we just talked and talked and talked -- it was great
fun.  But then, we were hungry, and she like sent us to get McDonald's,
or takeout!  It was weird -- I expected to have tea and little crumpets
or little things with the crust cut off.  But anyway.  [Off stage:  "Fish
and chips."]  Fish and chips, yeah, right.  Kate is back with a brand new
album, _The Sensual World_.  We've been playing a lot of her brand new
video.  It's got the love dust in it; it's titled 'Love And Anger.'"

5)  Several people have been wanting to know of a mail order place to
get the Kate videos.  I have a catolog for such a place:

Crystal Music Video
P.O. Box 1299
Glenwood Springs, CO  81602

"Call Toll-Free with your order: (800) 433-8574.  For information
on a specific artist or a specific title please call our office at:
(303) 963-3680 from 8 am to 12 noon or from 4 pm to 8 pm (Rocky
Mountain Time)."

They have the following videos:
Title                        Catalog #                        Price
The Whole Story               250001                         $29.95
Live at Hammersmith           330003                         $69.95
The Single File               330001                         $69.95

The latter two are Japanese imports.  There used to be an American
Live at Hammersmith, but it's now out of print.  Some stores still
have it, though.  If you find a copy for less than $30, it must
be a leftover American one -- grab it if you're at all interested.

The Single File contains all the videos from her first four albums.
The videos from this that are not on The Whole Story are:  "Them Heavy
People", "Hammer Horror", the original video for "Wow", "Suspended
In Gaffa", and "There Goes A Tenner".

Hope this helps.

That's all for now, folks.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        | Caption:  "Kate Bush goes from cult fave to
Dept. of Applied Science   |        chart rave."  -- _Billboard_
UC Davis/Livermore         |   (In "Was It A Hit Or A Miss" in the 1985
ed@das.llnl.gov            |          year-end special issue.)