Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 15:23:50 EST

Don't anyone ever say that I'm not willing to work for a goal.  In an
attempt to come to terms with IED's argument on the sub-mystery level,
as he calls it, I went back and found his original posting supporting
Reaching Out.  I'm still bewildered by it.  But, as I'm all for a
little broadening of the horizons.  Would someone (IED?) mind
explaining to me exactly what a

>nineteenth-century European art song (especially that subgenre
>represented by Brahms' settings of German folksongs and Wolf's
>Italian Songbook) which re-set the national styles of the itinerant
>musical tradition in the language of late Romatic classical form
>and melodic, thematic and lyrical patterns

sounds like?  And how one could quantitatively prove that "Reaching
Out" is closer to this form than any of the artistically bankrupt,
emotionally stunted, string-swept, diabetic-harmful Judy Collins
and/or Barbara Streisand songs that I've been claiming it is nearer
to?