Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

_Billboard_ of Dec. 9

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 89 21:40:15 PST
Subject: _Billboard_ of Dec. 9

The December 9 _Billboard_ has an ad for _The Sensual World_ at
the bottom of the front page.  (I mean the real front page, not
the Quincy Jones special cover.)  The ad runs across the whole
page, and is about two inches tall.  The picture is the album cover,
cropped so only a strip around the eyes is seen.  On the right is written:

			"THE SENSUAL WORLD"
			OC 44164

			THE BREAKTHROUGH ALBUM FROM

			KATE BUSH.

			#1 at alternative radio, retail and requests.

			Buzz Bin MTV.  VH-1 medium rotation.

                        VH-1 special airs December 12th.

			Featuring the first single,

			LOVE AND ANGER.
			38-73092

			ON COLUMBIA.

			Produced and Written by Kate Bush.

Now notice that the catalog number given for the single is *not* that
of the cassette single (which is 38T-73092; the T obviously stands
for "tape".)  Also, the ad does not imply that only a cassette single
is available.  Put together, these facts indicate to me that a vinyl
single should be available.  What do other people think?

Now for the chart numbers.  The news this time isn't too good,
except for one item, which I'll start with:

Modern Rock Tracks        "Love And Anger"            #1 (2 last week)

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now for the not so good news:

CDs                      _TSW_                        24 (18)
Albums                   _TSW_                        46 (43)

The video for L&A stays in the Buzz Bin at MTV and medium at VH-1.
(Actually, that's not too bad news.  I've seen this video quite a
few times now, and I only got cable last Friday morning!)

International:

As someone posted, TWW entered the British charts at #30.
The same week, the album went from 24 to 31.

Canada albums        _TSW_                          18 (16)
West Germany albums  _TSW_                          15 (11)
Italy singles        "TSW"                          17 (18)

An ad for a Tokyo radio station shows "The Sensual World" to
be #5.

That's all this time, folks.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        | Caption:  "Kate Bush goes from cult fave to
Dept. of Applied Science   |        chart rave."  -- _Billboard_
UC Davis/Livermore         |   (In "Was It A Hit Or A Miss" in the 1985
ed@das.llnl.gov            |          year-end special issue.)