Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MisK

From: jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman)
Date: 4 Dec 89 14:34:56 GMT
Subject: Re: MisK
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

In article <8912040414.AA07441@das.llnl.gov> ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward Suranyi) writes:
>Well, if Mr. Drukman can call "Reaching Out" "horrible", then I guess
>Mr. Forman can call "The Fog" "cloyingly pretentious".

Wrong.  "The Fog" is NOT cloyingly pretentious, it is a work of sheer
genius and it gives me a hard time justifying last night's comment that
"Be Kind To My Mistakes" is Kate's finest moment post-HoL.  So, therefore
Mr. Forman can NOT call "The Fog" what he called it.  I am allowed to call
"Reaching Out" horrible because it is.  (BTW, if anyone takes this whole
paragraph seriously, please ram a red hot poker up yer bum.  It might
take you back to reality.)

>Please forgive
>me if I politely disagree with both of you.  And also, Jon, I like
>"I'm Still Waiting" a lot;  I like it more than "Walk Straight Down
>The Middle", for example (though I like that song, too).

I dunno.  I tried real hard to like "I'm Still Waiting" but it's just
a little too hippy-dippy for my tastes.  It does have some strong
points in its favor, as I mentioned before, and you can add to the
list the nifty piano sample that is married to the kick drum.  I like
touches like that a lot, but the choruses are just so bubbly that I
want to scream.  She can do better, as well we know.

>Oh yes, I think the "Single Mix" of "This Woman's Work" pushes the
>orchestra forward.  The cellos seem to be much more prominent than
>on the album version.  I wonder if anybody else thinks so.

I don't think so.  Or, if they are, I can't hear it, and I have (if
I say so myself) a pretty good ear for these sorts of things.  Maybe
they're pushed just the tiniest amount up, but it certainly doesn't
qualify for the "single mix" appellation that the EMI cretins have
given it.

I noticed that they also trimmed the INTRO as well as the fade and
the bridge of "Be Kind To My Mistakes."  The song runs under three
minutes after this apppalling surgery!  I am well furious now; I
suppose you can call me a "bitter, bad-humoured Kate Bush fan" as
well as IED...

"The storm is coming back."

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "To serve God, you gotta be stupid and  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  freakish and poor."  -- ??             |