Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Laugh

From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 89 12:49:21 GMT
Subject: The Laugh

>From: jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman)
>I assume you all remember my survey about whether the laugh belonged
>to "The Fog" or "Love And Anger," right?
>Of the six respondents, five thought it went with "The Fog" with the
>odd man out thinking it belonged to neither song and was just a piece
>of audio flotsam thrown in for no apparent reason by Kate.  Most of
>the respondents said that the laugh sounded "right" with "The Fog."
>Some claimed that if it were part of LAA, then it would detract from
>the finality of the "Yeah!"  The most succinct observation was
>provided, as usual, by our Humble Pseudo-Moderator |>oug who said:
>
>>It's obvious to anyone who isn't an inane idiot that it belongs at the
>>beginning of "The Fog".  Geez.

Well as a well-known inane idiot of long standing let me cast my
delayed vote for the laugh being part of "Love And Anger". To me it is
an ideal riposte to the "Yeah" rather than distracting from it at all.
I can see no connection with the laugh and Kate's stated elements
behind "The Fog", i.e. that of relationships, trying to let go of
people and slipping into the fog.

In fact, it's obvious to anyone who isn't Dan Quayle that it belongs at the
end of "Love and Anger".
Neil Calton                            UUCP:   ..!mcvax!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,        ARPA: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon  OX11 0QX        JANET:         nbc@uk.ac.rl.inf
England                                Tel: (0235) 821900   ext 5740
Home of Kate Bush