Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Playlist

From: munnari!fgp.hcru.uq.oz.au!andy@uunet.UU.NET (The Wubba Wubba Mon)
Date: 27 Nov 89 00:41:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Playlist
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8911061344.AA28616@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> PMANCHESTER@CCMAIL.SUNYSB.EDU writes:
>		It helped me when I saw that the last name on the
> first line of the "thank you" credits was "Melanie."  This is
> probably some monstrous fabrication of my ignorance (Melanie in
> the KB circle probably being well known to the informed), but I
> was put in mind of Melanie--the Melanie of "Lay Down, Lay Down
> (Candles in the Rain)," from late 60s/early 70s, and later of
> "Brand New Key."  Both hers and Kate's songs are what somebody
> called 'anthems', girlhearted to a nearly unbearable degree, but
> both songs move me to affirmation.   Rolling Stone  gave "Lay
> Down" the worst, most negative and hostile review I had seen in
> months and months.  I couldn't listen to it myself till much
> later, after Melanie had buffered it with the strong album
> "Stoneground Words."

Which suggests that you should buy music *you* like,and not go with peer
group pressure  (exactly what we despise about 14 year olds today buying
Kylie Minogue, Stock-Aitken-Waterman etc music...)  Also suggests that to
get maximum exposure to various musics, to find out what sort of music you
like, you should try and sample a wide range, probably by listening to
"alternative radio stations".   The US sounds like it's filled with college
and alternative radio stations (maybe as a reaction to tightly classified and
demigraphically oriented mainstream stations,  or maybe because the airwaves
aren't as tightly regulated as they are in Australia??   Hey! I've never been
to the US.  What do I know....)

I heard on an "EnTerTainment This WeeK" a couple of months ago that Melanie
was releasing a new album soon.  I haven't seen anything yet.

Is "Candles In The Rain" out on CD?  I only have a scratty old recording from
an LP that a friend has, and would like something which is of better quality.
If there's a CD (which means better quality and a legal rcording), then I'll
buy it.   The LP came out on "Buddha Records", or some such.  Serial Number
can be looked up.

For the interested, Melanie (surname = Kafka?) wrote "Candles In The Rain"
and "Look What They've Done To My Song, Ma",  both of which are on the album.
(Also on it is a brilliant version of "Ruby Tuesday", which with the title
song alone are worth the admission price.)

/\ndy
--
Andrew M. Jones, Systems Programmer, 	ACSnet: andy@fgp.hcru.uq.oz
c/o French Dept,  Univ. of Qld, 	Work Phone: (07) 377 2075

"No matter what hits the fan, it's never distributed evenly....."