Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 89 00:14:03 PST
Subject: MisK

First of all, there's a very favorable review of the album in the
December issue of _Musician_ magazine.  Since this magazine is fairly
widely available in the US, I will only quote a few lines from it:

"All it takes is a single listening of _The Sensual World_ to understand
why it's been four years since Kate Bush released an album; a song cycle
as rich and deep as this takes a while to mature."

Well, suffice to say that nearly every line of this review says something
good about the album.  If anyone needs to see the entire review, please
e-mail me.

Kate's mentioned a couple of other times in this issue as well.  There's
an article about the Innocence Mission, in which the writer says, "Kate
Bush on Valium might sound like this. . ."

Also, there's a review of Agnes Buen Garnas and Jan Garbarek's album
_Rosenfole:  Traditional Songs from Norway_.  The reviewer likes this
album a lot, and says at one point, "In fact, Garbarek's settings are
surprisingly pop-informed; note how the thudding electro-percussion in
"Lillebroer og Storebroer" recalls Kate Bush's _The Dreaming_."

Now I really want to hear this!

Next, from the Oct. 28 issue of _Melody Maker_:

Our Price, which I now know to be a chain of British record stores, has
a full page ad promoting _The Sensual World_.

There's an interview of Nigel Kennedy, the classical violinist who has
played on some of Kate's tracks.  Here's an excerpt:

"EMI Classical's rising star, who won a gold disc and the BPI Classical
Record Of The Year Award for his Elgar Violin Concerto, and has just gone
straight into the album chart, at number 43, with his recording of
Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" [this could never happen in America], has also
played on albums by Talk Talk, Paul McCartney, Judie Tzuke and has been
working with Kate Bush on te long awaited follow-up to 'The Hounds of
Love', 'The Sensual World'."

Then, later in the interview:

     "Kennedy makes no secret of his intense admiration for Kate Bush
and the two have been close friends ever since he worked with her on
'Experiment IV'.  This time around, he contributed to two tracks on
'The Sensual World'.
     "'She's just a great musician, so inspired in her attitude to
music.  I think she's one of the greatest composers of the century
in my opinion.  That's another type of music that relates to my way of
thinking.  You can call it classical, whatever, it just takes in
influences from all over.  The main song I played on was "The Fog",
where I played the counter melody to her vocal.  I also did chord
banks on another song -- "Heads We're Dancing".  We did it in her own
48-track studio.  It was all acoustic.  I think it's about the best
studio sound I've ever had -- her boyfriend Del is a great engineer.'"

That's it for now, folks.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        | "Singer/songwriter Kate Bush:  The one singer
Dept. of Applied Science   |  on two continents who most deserves a wider
UC Davis/Livermore         |      audience"    -- _Saturday Review_
ed@das.llnl.gov            | (in special "Underrated/Overrated" issue)