Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Strange Angels

From: cg-atla!dsmith@schizo.samsung.com (Dave Smith)
Date: 16 Nov 89 22:22:41 GMT
Subject: Re: Strange Angels
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <WOMBAT.89Nov14191603@claris.com> wombat@claris.UUCP (Scott Lindsey) writes:

>I think that Laurie is trying to continue to produce that
>which is art and that which is musically familiar and pleasant.

I disagree with the latter half of this.  I've never though that
Laurie but a great deal of work into producing "familiar and pleasant"
music.  To the contrary, I think she's introduced a great deal of
unfamiliar and unpleasant qualities in her music.  This is what makes
her so interesting to listen to.  "Sweaters" is an example of this,
with the whining violins and harsh vocal harmonics.  Listen to _United
States I-IV_, there's plenty on that which I would consider unordinary,
and "difficult listening".

Her ability to experiment with sounds and arrangements are IMHO what
makes her so interesting.  Even her choices for musicians (Adrian
Belew, David Van Tiegem(sp?)) follow in this quality.

I tend to find Laurie a little tiresome when she begins to sway
towardds the "familiar and pleasant" side of music (i.e. "Language Is
A Virus", "Smoke Rings", and the new single "Baby Doll").

Then again, perhaps your definition of "familiar and pleasant" differs
somewhat from mine.

I'd be interested in how you view her music.