Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Beatles questions

From: munnari!batserver.cs.uq.oz.au!bakker@uunet.UU.NET (Paultje Bakker)
Date: 5 Nov 89 23:38:54 GMT
Subject: Re: Beatles questions
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: munnari!moondance.cs.uq.oz.au!news@uunet.UU.NET

In article <8911012237.AA12883@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> RICHARD@HNYMPI52.BITNET writes:

>SOME QUESTIONS FOR DIE-HARD BEATLES FREAKS TO RACK THEIR BRAINS ABOUT:
>
>First of all, has Mark Lewisohn's book titled - I believe - _The Complete
>Recording Sessions_ appeared yet? I know that the publication date has
>been put off several times, but I definitely thought it had come out,
>even though the shop assistant assured me it wasn't available.

Yes. At least, in Australia and almost certainly Britain. I saw it in
February this year (hardcover) and acquired a copy last month. It's
great!

>Thirdly, apart from the crappy Beatles demos you hear now and then on the
>radio or at some Beatlologists' convention, some genuinely interesting
[stuff about unreleased Beatles trax deleted]
>fascinating!). Does anyone know of other enticing tidbits? Is there any
>chance of them being released officially?

The book is a record of all their recording sessions, and the writer
lays great emphasis on describing songs that were recorded in
different forms (eg Norwegian Wood) and songs that were recorded,
mixed and overdubbed for release, but never were. These include the
cover 'Leave My Kitten Alone' and the originals 'Mean To Me', 'You got
Trouble' and '12 bar <?>' (sorry, I'm writing these from memory).
The book also has heaps of fascinating anecdotes, like they time they
almost recorded one of Norman Smith's songs.

PB
"Het is beter over je fiets te lullen dan over je lul te fietsen"