Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Watching You Without Me

From: gatech.edu!mit-eddie!gaffa.mit.edu!jsd@cs.utexas.edu (Jon Drukman)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 14:36:00 GMT
Subject: Re: Watching You Without Me
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8911072228.13166@munnari.oz.au> CCJS@cc.nu.OZ.AU (James Smith) writes:
>holding on."  But the correct answer is ... DON'T IGNORE
>DON'T IGNORE ME, LET ME IN AND DON'T BE LONG.
>
>Jon Drukman writes:
>
>> First, Joe's reading of the (forwards!) words "Don't ignore me..." is
>> almost certainly correct.  I don't even have to go back to _the_Ninth_Wave_
>> to be convinced that they fit.  It even seems _obvious_ in retrospect.
>> (I'll eat all the above words if I pop the CD in this afternoon and I'm
>> wrong (and if anyone sends me a hard copy!).  I'll eat them forwards
>> _and_ backwards.)

OK, I'm eating my words, and boy am I glad that I flavor them with
this special marinara sauce I whipped up.  However, this answer is
totally unsatisfactory!  Where the KBC claims the last phrase is
"and don't be long" the music seems to have an extra syllable that
just can't be accounted for with this ridiculous phrase!  In Joe's
theory, the wording was "I'm alone here now" - the problem is that
"alone" has the nice unstressed/stressed pattern that the music has,
and "and don't" doesn't have enough syllables to cover.

The only way I could account for this is if Kate is stuttering and
saying something like "And d-don't be long."  Besides, Kate has been
lying her face off lately, maybe this is just another example.

Well, now I don't need to go get breakfast anyway.  :)

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I like George Bush, but this `kinder,  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | gentler' crap is killing us." - D.Trump |