Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The album's cover + Melody Maker

From: gatech.edu!mit-eddie!gaffa.mit.edu!jsd@cs.utexas.edu (Jon Drukman)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 89 18:18:58 GMT
Subject: Re: The album's cover + Melody Maker
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8911050413.24387@munnari.oz.au> CCJS@cc.nu.OZ.AU (James Smith) writes:
>For me the song has all the power and intensity of _This Woman's Work_,
>with an added driving force that makes it just beautiful.  In fact,
>this song, more than any other on the album, is just Kate.
>
>How can you say it's horrible?

I'm really intrigued by the fact that you say that this song more than
any other is "Just Kate." Because it really isn't.  It's more like
Barbara Streisand or Bette Midler or (god forbid) Jon Bon Jovi.  In
the last "Homeground" they repeatedly referred to this song as
"anthemic." And, if you'll excuse the horrible wordplay, I find
anthems anathema.  Anthemic to me means "bombast" and "pomp" and
"really unenjoyable listening experience." I also think that this song
really doesn't have naything to say.  My personal opinion is that Kate
is at her best when telling us stories.  Practically all the songs on
"The Dreaming" are story-telling songs and the ones that aren't are
brilliantly observed tracts on life and philosophy, so I like them
anyway.  For my money, "The Sensual World" is the most barren of
story-telling songs of all the Kate albums.  It's all sort of like
"Love is great" or "We all need support at times." These platitudes
are all very nice but they don't make terribly original songs.  Kate
manages to make original songs out of most them, but "Reaching Out"
fails utterly miserably for me in this respect.

This is how I can call it horrible.  All clear?

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I like George Bush, but this `kinder,  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | gentler' crap is killing us." - D.Trump |