Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Negativity and Melody Maker

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 89 14:05:17 EST
Subject: Negativity and Melody Maker

I'm very interested in this question of whether the songs on "The
Sensual World" are resolved positively or negatively.  On the one
hand, we have IED saying that they are not optimistic.  On the other
hand, we have KT saying that they ARE optimistic.  Who do we believe?
Well, strangely, I agree with IED.  And |>oug seems to agree with KT.
Although, the ending of "Deeper Understanding" is less morbid than I
would like.  The way I see it is that our heroine has been deprived of
her emotional crutch and she now can't function properly in the real
world, so she sits in a room, dribbling on herself and mumbling "I
hate to leave you."

|>oug thinks that it's the computer saying these words, for one thing.
Obviously, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

On the subject of Melody Maker, don't you think that perhaps reading
the recent interviews with Kate isn't such a bad idea, IED?  Would you
rather have her provoked into giving much more detailed responses, of
the kind she gave in the MM interview, or would you rather she kept
saying "Well, that's not quite what I meant..." as she usually does
when confronted with people ignorant of her philosophy?  I think Steve
Sutherland did an admirable job at getting Kate to open up.  Her
trademark evasions are not on prominent display as they were in the
NME interview, for one.

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I like George Bush, but this `kinder,  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | gentler' crap is killing us." - D.Trump |