Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More thoughts on Laurie...

From: Woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 89 03:03:30 EST
Subject: More thoughts on Laurie...

After wandering around cxampus all today with _Strange_Angels_ in the
walkman (TSW was on the other side...honest!), I had somemore thoughts
about this album (besides the aforementioned "neatness" of it).

My favorite song on it is "Ramon" - it's soft synths and Laurie's spoken
vocals, but it's so *amazing*. In fact, it is kinda hard to describe -
so why don't all of you go out and listen for yourself! (Just kidding).

I finally figured out who the title track sounds like. It had been e-
luding me for about three days and it hit me this morning: Dire Straits!
Wow.

The second song is "Monkey's Paw" - an upbeat world music ditty that can
best described as anti-cyberpunk. It begins with Laurie rattling off a
list of things that she wanted done to her at a the local Body Shoppe
(straight out of William Gibson!) and spends ther rest of the song talk-
ing about how "The gift of life is a twist of fate, it's a roll of the
die, it's a freee lunch, a free ride; but Nature's got rules and Nature's
got laws, and if you cross her, watch out, it's the Monkey's Paw." I'm
not sure, but could the monkey's paw be a reference to that horror story
that I think everyone read in junior high? (Can't remember the title of
it...).

"Coolsville" is typical solid Anderson; followed by "Ramon", it's a good
set-up for the spunky "Babydoll" And thus ends side one...

Side two is more moody and introspective (sound familiar?). One song struck
me oddly: "The Day the Devil". In alot of ways it's  similar to "Heads
We're Dancing" - or at least it struck me that way while walking to
Matrix Methods this afternoon. I'll transcribe some lyrics as soon as I
grab the liner notes and see if you get the same reaction...

Well, enough for now,

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu