Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sutherland, Kate's address, Dealing with God, etc.

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 18:31:33 EDT
Subject: Sutherland, Kate's address, Dealing with God, etc.
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> [jessica:] I first heard Hounds of Love, and indeed I loved it.  The
> guys who played it for me insisted it was the only worthwhile music
> Kate had done and I shoudln't bother trying to get any other albums,
> 'cause after Hounds of Love she had tried to get too "top-40-ish".

What in the world were they thinking of?  They only album she's done
since *Hounds of Love* came out a week ago.

Subject: *The Sensual World* cover

I don't know what all this hubbub about the new album cover being less
than perfect is....  I think the new album cover is perfect -- perhaps
her best album cover yet.

    |   |\
> [\|on |/rukman:] The interview (by Steve Sutherland) is
> GREAT!  One of the best KT interviews I have ever read.  It is
> obvious that Sutherland and Bush hit a vibe early on, and they never
> let up.  KT seems to be having a blast communicating with someone
> who understands her work _perfectly_.

Steve Sutherland has a good history with Kate.  He did an early
interview with Kate that appeared in *Sounds* in '78.  It is a big
interview (Kate appears on the cover) and I believe that it was the
first interview he published.  It is an excellent interview,
especially compared the other interviews of Kate that appeared at the
time.  Sutherland was very enthusiastic about Kate and he got her to
talk about how she loved the sensual nature of guns, despite the
destruction they can cause.  I believe this is also the interview
where Kate says that she liked to watch movies where people get their
heads blown off in slow motion, really beautifully, but I could be
mistaken about this.

> [Richard Caldwell on "Rocket's Tail":] Could it be about Kate's
> feelings about her own fame?  Once every three years or so she
> launches herself into the public view once again.  Fame can be so
> wonderful but at the same time it can be a very lonely thing.

This seems to me like an excellent interpretation.  Similarly, I've
always thought that "The Big Sky" is in part a criticism of the
British music press.  Kate says "They look down at the ground,
missing... You never understood me, you never really tried... You want
my reply?  What was the question?".  Here she seems to be speaking to
her critics and obnoxious interviewers that then cut her to pieces in
print.  I meant to ask Kate about this when I interviewed her, but I
didn't get to it.

> [Steve VanDevender:] I have a hard time characterizing the music I
> like except that I tend to prefer stuff that I would describe as
> weird and intense, and _The Dreaming_ has plenty of that.  Yum.

I second that!

> [William J Fallon:] Can anyone provide me with a mailing address
> (that's post office type mail, not electronic) for KT?

You can write to her care of the record company, or you can try her at
the following address.  Good luck getting a response, however.

     The Kate Bush Club
     P.O. Box 120
     Welling
     Kent DA16 3DS
     ENGLAND

> [Ed S.:] To me the most surprising revelation in the _Q_ magazine
> interview I posted yesterday is that the original title of RUTH was
> "Deal With God", and to Kate that is *still* the proper title.

> Did anybody know this before this interview was published?

This was *the* rumor before "Running Up that Hill" was released about
what was causing a delay.  I asked John Carder Bush whether this rumor
was true when I met him, and he said that "A Deal With God" was the
working title for the song, but that the reason why they picked
"Running Up that Hill" instead really didn't have anything to do with
record company pressure.  I guess JCB was fibbing to me.