Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hitler Clarification

From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 16:46:59 -0500
Subject: Hitler Clarification

   |Was I only dreaming, or did Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu> say:
   |
   |>The only (minor) complaint I have is with Heads We're Dancing, which,
   |>despite having the best title of any song on the album, would be better
   |>off not referring to Hitler.  etc.
   |
   |I disagree completely.  To recognize that Hitler was human does not
   |trivialize his actions; just the opposite.  etc.

Well, you must have been dreaming because you have misinterpretted what
I said.  (It appears that other people have done the same thing, so I
will clarify what I meant.)  What I am expressly NOT saying is that Hitler
should be viewed as the Devil, or some other non-human entity.  NO,
not at all.  I agree with you and the others who have so correctly
observed that the scariest thing about the Holocaust and the Nazis
was the fact that they (not just Hitler, but all of them) were human.

My point, however, is that any attempt to include Hitler and the Nazi
attrocities in a song (or any other art form for that matter -- with
the exception of memorials set up to explicitly *commemorate* the
slaughter of over 6 million people) and in particular in a song that
romanticizes, even a slight bit (as you must admit KT's song does),
Hitler or is cohorts, is dangerous, because it serves to partially
eclipse the totally heinous nature of Hitler's actions, and these must
in no way be diminished.

To put Hitler in a song of this type is to do him an honour that
he does not deserve.
			        			.

						"No pinky ring hustlers,
						 No sabre-tooth neighbours"