Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Oct. 28 _Billboard_, continued.

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 12:44:39 PDT
Subject: The Oct. 28 _Billboard_, continued.

Well, I managed to get my own copy of the Oct. 28 _Billboard_, as I
said I would yesterday.  Here are the details:

First, as I said, "Love And Anger" entered the Modern Rock Tracks chart
at number 13.  In the place where the label and number go, it says,
"Columbia LP Track".  This is the strongest evidence yet that, at least
at the time this chart was made up, there was *no* single available for
the public to purchase.  I hope a real single does come out sometime.

Incidentally, the song would have debuted even higher if it weren't for
the fact that KITS, which is a major contributor to this chart, perversely
continues to play "The Sensual World" instead.  The entire staff at
Nob Hill Florists requested it this morning, and it was played for them.

Anyway, back to _Billboard_.  There's a full page ad for the album.  It
is a picture of the album, and on the right side it says:

					   KATE BUSH

					   "THE SENSUAL WORLD"

					   A NEW REALM OF SENSATION

					   WRITTEN AND PRODUCED BY KATE

					   ON COLUMBIA

Next, there's a short (like all _Billboard_ reviews) review of the
album.  It's listed under "Picks", which is a good sign.  In fact it's
the only album listed under that category this week.  Here's what they
say:

KATE BUSH
The Sensual World
Producer: Kate Bush
Columbia 44164

Besides her incredible voice, Bush's strongest point has always been
her ability to acutely sum up female sensuality without ever crossing
the line between erotic and crass; being tantalizingly coy without
being too cute.  She achieves all that on this, her first new studio
album in four years.  Additionally, this is some of the most intriguing,
ethereal music she has written.  She's greatly aided by Bulgaria's Trio
Bulgarka on several cuts, including "Between A Man And A Woman."  Also
tops are "This Woman's Work," and "Love And Anger."

Yes, I know that the Trio does *not* appear on BAMAAW.  But who cares,
as long as the review is good?

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        |"Kate Bush:  Needs more exposure in the United
Dept. of Applied Science   |     States, but a magnificent talent."
UC Davis/Livermore         |                 -- Robert Hilburn,
ed@das.llnl.gov            |                    _Los Angeles Times_