Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Nice To Swallow

From: James Smith <munnari!cc.nu.oz.au!CCJS@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 89 21:14 -1000
Subject: Re: Nice To Swallow

From: CCJS@cc.nu.oz (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 7 Oct 89 21:14:45 EST

Doug Alan writes (in reply to me):

>> Doug says that this is the
>> entire extent of the interview's comments on _The Dreaming_.

> I never said any such thing.

No, you didn't.  You said that was the entire extent of Kate's
comments on the album.  I apologise for misquoting you.

> If "Nice to Swallow" is a mistake, it is clearly not the
> mistake of the interviewer, but rather of the typesetters.

Or of the editor.

> Kate said "Get Out" because it is her
> shorthand for "Get Out Of My House".  Musicians almost often have
> short names for their songs with long names.

Has Kate ever used pet song names on other occasions?  I do not
remember having read anything in which she uses them.  In fact, in
most articles I have read she refers to _Get Out of My House_ as
"Get Out of My House" and _Night of the Swallow_ as "Night of the
Swallow."  Can you cite an example?

I'll ammend this.  I'm sure she has on occasions used a song title
like "Night of the Swallow" and then used the abbreviation "Night"
to refer to it further on in the interview.  Can you cite an example
in which she has referred to a song by a pet name or abbreviation
in a context where an uninformed reader would think that it was the
song's actual title?

Did the interviewer transcribe his/her own interview?  If he did,
did he supply an accurate, typewritten copy?  Were the interviews
for _Lady Killers_ done especially for it, or taken from other
sources?   How much care was taken in editing the book?

The high level of spelling/typographical errors would not seem to
indicate a high level of editorial expertise.  Perhaps the editor
prepared copy from a tape supplied by the interviewer, or from his
handwritten notes.  Could "N. Swallow" have been expanded to "Nice
to Swallow"?

I'm still not convinced that Kate actually said "Nice to Swallow."

Greg Anderson writes:

> Why does anyone assume the phrase "Nice To Swallow" refers to oral sex?
> Would you have made the same assumption if the speaker had been a man?

|>oug first used the reference to underline the fact that Kate
was capable of sexual innuendo.

> Come on people, *all* musicians have pet-names for their music, and they are
> often comic and sometimes genuinely crude.  But it beats calling everything
> by it's *formal* name all the time.  Is Kate different?  Can't *she* have
> silly names for her "serious work"?

Of course she can.  But have you ever read an article in which
she used one?  Besides, Kate is not a musician, she is a genius;
the rules that apply to other musicians need not apply to her. :-)

Jim

--
James Smith, Computing Centre, University of Newcastle, ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au
"Who's for dinner?  Shall we draw lots, boys?"