Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Flogging a dead noodle

From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 89 17:50:03 -0700
Subject: Re: Flogging a dead noodle
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Was I only dreaming, or did juli@lafayette.dartmouth.edu (Julian West)
actually say:

>>Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu> writes:
>>As someone else pointed out, English spelling wasn't reasonably
>>standardized until LONG after that.  Printing presses became widely
>>used around 1500, and in the early 1700's people were still complaining
>
>I don't remeber who "someone else" was, but I do remember that |} took
>credit for it! In a later posting he said (and I paraphrase) "As I have
>already pointed out, there was no regularized spelling in English until
>the 1700's."

Okay, well I remember who the "someone else" was, 'cause it was ME.
However, I don't remember !>oug taking credit for it.  And I'm usually
pretty picky about such things.  Are you sure you have that right?

Thanks, by the way, to "someone else" for mentioning that Dr. Johnson's
dictionary was first published in 1755.  To digress even further into
trivia, I recently discovered that his was _not_ the first dictionary
of English; he was predated by about 40 years.  However, the fact that
we remember Samuel Johnson's name and not that of his predecessor says
something about their relative success.

-- Stewart

--
"Your type really makes me puke, you festering, malodorous,
 toffee-nosed PERVERT!"