Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The telephone number

From: Steven H. Veeneman <veener@ntmntm.chi.il.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 89 00:47:11 CDT
Subject: The telephone number

I found a record store with the album promo cassette.  I went there.
I chickened outand didn't even ask to see it.

I went home.  Read IED's suggestion about that phone number again.
I chewed my lip.  I tried it.

Oooh!  What a surprise!  What a choice thing to hear!  Ah, ah, ah...

So I went to bed.  Could not sleep.  Got out the cassette recorder,
put a battery in the microphone, donned some headphones and dialed the number!
"SORRY, THE TAPE IS NOT ON RIGHT NOW," said a voice as I panicked and dropped
the microphone, hanging up immediately in the process.  I went back to bed,
trembling, thinking about the message KaTe was obviously sending me.
(KBIG, SRI (KATE BUSH IS GOD, SHE REALLY IS))

The next morning the family and I were to leave to visit old friends in
Milwaukee.  Instead I stood shivering in the kitchen putting another
battery in the phone....

Ah.  Ringing.  Two rings.  Omigodholdthemikesteadythisishappeningafterall!
Last night was a fluke!  KaTe was teasing me, and oh what a song!  The
best music to hit planet earth ever!

About one minute into it another voice interrupts, "Oh, I'm sorry!  I didn't
mean it, I was just turning up the volume and I hit the wrong button!"
And so I met Vickie Mapes, and we traded stories for - who knows - an hour?

It was wonderful.  Thank you, IED.  Thank you all fellow Love Hounds.  Thank
you Vickie Mapes.  Thank you KaTe, without whom I would sleep and dream of
passion...
# Steve Veeneman            veener@ntmntm.chi.il.us  #
# AUNTIE EM, AUNTIE EM!  THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME! #