Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Oh To Be In Love"

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 14:59:41 EDT
Subject: "Oh To Be In Love"
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> [Laura Clifford:] I have always also had the interpretation Steve
> Bloch describes and have always found the sentiment of being in love
> and never getting out again a wonderful description of an innocent
> desire to be truly in love.  I would be most disturbed to find out
> otherwise.  I've always found the song almost joyous in tone.  IED's
> interpretation is very disturbing indeed - has anyone else ever
> considered IED's interpretation?

I too must disagree with IED's interpretation.  I don't think at all
that Kate is saying in "Oh To Be In Love" that love is a trap.  I
think she says "Oh to be in love and never get out again", rather than
"Oh to be in love and never fall out again" because the former
sounds better.

However, I must also disagree with the assertion that the song is a
happy song.  The way I hear the song, Kate is saying that it's
wonderful to be in love, but unfortunately we always eventually fall
out of love.  So to me the song is a lament that the wonderful feeling
of being "in love" most often seems to be a transient thing.

"We thought it was all over, but it wasn't.
 It hadn't started yet."