Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tangerine Dream Lyrics

From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 89 13:45:15 PDT
Subject: Tangerine Dream Lyrics

Here it is, the long awaited translation
of the lyrics from Tangerine Dream's Exit
album.  The language is Russian which
suggests that "Kiew" is German for "Kiev".
The pronunciation of the lyrics is not good
(according to the translator) which suggests
the singer is not a native speaker of Russian.

band : Tangerine Dream
album: Exit (1981)
song : Kiew Mission (1st track, 1st side)
Translation from Russian by Irina Kazakova

Continents:
Asia, Africa, Europe, Australia, America
This is the world

Past Time
Present Time
Future Time
Peace, this is Peace
To be understood
To understand
To ask
To answer
To talk
To contemplate
To guess not knowing (?)
Transfer
To associate with friends
To exchange opinions
Borderlessness
Reasonable living
Talk, conversation

Continents:
Asia, Africa, Europe, Australia, America
This is the world

What's funny is that for years I imagined
the language was some strange and forgotten runic
dialect.  After the enumeration of the continents
comes the phrase "eta zymla", "this is the world",
which I incorrectly thought to be "runic dialect" for
the lost continent Atlantis.  I further imagined the
song to be a remembrance of, or last message from,
the strange, extinct Tolkien-esque civilization that
existed there, kind of like Queen's "Year of '39".
Imagine my surprise when the translation revealed these
comparatively prosaic lyrics.  Such is to be expected,
fantasy is often better than reality.

		--Corey

"Eta zymla, we are the children ..."