Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: sharon@asylum.sf.ca.us (Sharon Fisher)
Date: Sun Aug 27 09:17:55 1989

From: sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: All yours, Babooshka, Babooshka, Babooshka-ya-ya
Date: 27 Aug 89 16:17:54 GMT

In article <8908240132.AA15503@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
>
>I just saw on TV a commercial for Certs where there is a Russian dude
>up in Siberia, or something, and he's really far from the camera.  He
>pops a Certs in his mouth and suddenly zips up so that we have an
>ultra-closeup of his face and he says something like, "Come to me, my
>little babooshka".  Thus, it seems that "babooshka" is used as a term
>of affection in Russian, in addition to its meanings as "grandmother"
>and "scarf worn on the head".
>
>Perhaps this word is used similar to the way that French men call
>their women their "little cabbages".  Cabbage has never seen very
>romantic to me, but to a different culture, anything goes....

Babushka means grandmother and that weird hat thing that Russian
grandmothers often wear.  The Certs commercial simply picked the word
because it "sounds" like an endearment.  It's not.

And I take it from your "cabbage" comment that you've never called
your object of affection "honey..."
--
"Goldfish are quiet, under the water.
"Girls who keep goldfish are sometimes quite loud."