Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ethics and Brazil

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 89 11:29:40 EDT
Subject: Re: Ethics and Brazil

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: The morality debate (again) / Kate & "Brazil"
In article <8908260008.AA24580@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: "Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 513, CH2-59" <AGOUGH%FAB6@sc.intel.com>
>
>A heroine addict is still commiting a crime when he purchases and shoots
>up heroine--even though he has a real, physical, need for the drug. And,
>if you confront the junkie with the moral, legal, and health issues
>associated with heroine abuse just as he's craving more heroine, the junkie
>won't listen to a word you say--for he only wants his fix.  You are a
>self-proclaimed Kate-junkie.  And we're supposed to believe that your
>morality is as strong, but more refined, than Tim or Lazlo's?  You need to
>detox first.

This is an interesting argument.  Unfortunately, it assumes that
legality is fixed, rather than a malleable thing, like it should be.
I personally believe that smack should be given away free.  I'm sure
this will endear me to all the conservatives on the net.  Similarly, I
think IED's decision to give the demos away free was a very good
choice.  He is merely depriving professional criminals of their
livelihood.  In his way, he is stamping out the evil of bootlegging
itself!  We should be erecting statues in his honor, not condemning
him on love-hounds!  This guy is probably a nation hero!  Anyways, to
all you Kantian ethicists who subscribe to the ridiculous idea that
committing a crime to stop another crime is a Bad Thing, I urge you to
go research the theories of ethicists Mill and Ross.

>Hey Doug, just what is Kate's connection with "Brazil"?  I've seen it briefly
>mentioned on Love-Hounds several times, but not in-depth explanation of her
>involvement.

She was asked to record the theme song, which she did.  It was not
used in the film, and was never issued in any form.  Presumably it
will make its debut as padding for the hopelessly under-length "The
Sensual WOrld" LP, along with "Be Kind To My Mistakes" and "The
Magician."  :)

>I'm more interested in this than usual since "Brazil" is a film that I
>very much admire.  In fact, I think Harry Tuttle should become a new
>Superhero and join the ranks of Superman, Flash, Batman, Spiderman, and
>(another favorite) Plasticman.

What are you, high?  Tuttle is just a guy, doing what he wants to do.
Along the way, he helps Sam regain his humanity.  This is not the
stuff of bang-flash comic books.  No superpowers are involved.

>It's been a few years since I've seen the film, but I assume that Kate
>sang the theme song.  Is there anything more to it than that?  Anything
>special about the song?

You mean apart from having completely nonsensical lyrics?

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "Turn on, tune in, kill whitey!"     |
| \|on |/rukman  | jsd@umass.bitnet  |                     - Kelly Bundy    |