Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kirsty MacColl

From: jsd@gaffa.mit.edu (Jon Drukman)
Date: 17 Aug 89 17:02:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Kirsty MacColl
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: uucp@eddie.MIT.EDU

>Really-From: Norvald Stol <stol%vax.elab.unit.uninett@nac.no>
>
>Quote from "You and me baby" (from K. MacColls "Kite") :
>
>       "Rosebud, oh Rosebud
>        He turned to me and wept
>        A vaguely coded message
>        I could never intercept"
>
>Seems that KT is not the only one with references to Houdini.
>Can't find other Houdini-related text in the song, however.

I'm not surprised.  What does that have to do with "Houdini"??  Or
even Houdini (sans quotes)?  "Rosebud" is the "big secret" in the
movie "Citizen Kane."  Perhaps Ms. MacColl is referring to that
particular film when she mentions "a vaguely coded message"?
If you haven't seen "Citizen Kane" yet, you probably should because
it is supposedly one of the all-time classic American films.  I wasn't
too impressed with it, probably because I had to see it in a class at
school, and they almost always manage to ruin the magic of movies -
except for when I saw "Zardoz" in SF Lit class: that film had no
magic to ruin.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I think quotes are very dangerous   |
| \|on |/rukman  | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  things."  -- Kate Bush              |