Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: microsoft!brianw@uunet.uu.net
Date: Fri Aug 11 15:30:54 1989

From: brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Kate's cat food and record label
Date: 11 Aug 89 22:30:52 GMT

In article <762@argon.UUCP> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: argon!ebh@rutgers.edu (Ed Horch)
>
>Why oh why oh why did she have to sign with the sleaziest quantity-
>before-quality record company in America???????  Did they offer her
>*that* good a deal?  (Those of you who think that signing with CBS
>will necessarily mean better promotion of her music, remember how
>much good that did Wendy Carlos.  She finally ended up signing with
>Larry Fast's Audion label.)
>
>-Ed

I agree!  I happen to be listening to a tape of HoL as I type (I
don't have a turntable at work).  I only played it once to tape it
and it already sounds like it has years of wear on it.  I still
haven't switched to CD media yet because most of the artists I
listen to are on labels like Private Music which have near-Japanese
quality pressings.  I'm waiting for DAT to settle down, so I don't
have to waste any money on over-priced Read Only CD's.  Is it true
that there is legislation to prevent the sale of imported records?
Like the Japanese pressings I understand are on virgin vinyl?
It seems like job one of the record companies is to preserve their
profits, and the actual quality of albums (and many of the CDs I
have listened to as well) is like job null.  They had rather
reduce the quality of all CDs legally purchased, than allow a
consumer to make a high quality (I hardly think an ANALOG copy of
a CD onto DAT is HIGH quality) copy of their poor merchandise.
I guess the want to prevent competition from overseas as well.

>The interested reader is directed to a discussion over in rec.food.veg
>regarding what vegetarians feed their pets.  The general consensus is
>that it's ok to feed a dog a vegetarian diet, but not a cat.  The
>cat family is carnivorous; all cats *must* have meat in their diets.

Cats will go blind due to the lack of a certain hormone if they do not
get meat (I forget the name)

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP