Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: Dan Kozak <dbk@mimsy.umd.edu>
Date: 10 Aug 89 16:12:40 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: mimsy.UUCP

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: The Lost Single (?)
Date: 10 Aug 89 16:12:39 GMT

> Really-From: Randall Knowles Smith <rs5o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> apparently there was some strong debate about the fairness of the FDA's
> actions.

> Calling Reich wrong is strong enough.  Making him malevolent, as some people
> seem intent upon (as the FDA did) is unnecessary and, possibly, unfair.

Well, the circumstances surrounding Reich's arrest, death and the
banning of his written works are pretty mysterious.  How many other
FDA/EPA violators actually went to jail?  (Unfortunately, I don't have
access to my sources on this right now, and it's been a while since I
read the book, so I can't give more detail without risking a dinner of
shoe leather.  Next time I'm at my folks, I'll dig out my Reich
biography and see what I can find.)

> On another tack, I was listening to NFE last night, and was wondering about
> the people mentioned in "Blow Away (for Bill)."  Does anyone know who
> these people are?

Bill is Bill Duffield, (the lighting man who died in an accident right
at the beginning of the Tour of Life.  The rest are:

Minnie Riperton (? I've been told)
Keith Moon
Sid Vicious (twice)
Buddy Holly
Sandy Denny
(and in the last verse)
Marc Bolan

All musicians who died premature deaths.

#dan

Clever:         dbk@mimsy.umd.edu | "For I was rolled in water,
Not-so-clever:  uunet!mimsy!dbk   |  I was rolled out past the pier" - MoB