Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Radium yoyo

From: "Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 513, CH2-59" <AGOUGH%FAB6@sc.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 89 16:51 PDT
Subject: Radium yoyo

> >>  Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU:
> >> Really-From: Andy Hynes <ahynes@axion.british-telecom.co.uk>
> >>they are in fact "Your SON'S coming out". This would imply, to me, that
> >>childbirth is commencing. What child ? Who's child ?
> >
> >Organon's, perhaps? Isn't the daughter ``remembering Organon'' in the song?
> >Incest, eh? The same thing occurs in the song ``The Kick Inside'' why not in
> >a `popular' song.
> >Ho, hum... what do I know? I just listen to the words.
> >
> >-- nicK
>
>     Yeah, well you sure haven't been listening very carefully.
>There _is_ no daughter in _Cloudbusting_. In fact, there's no female
>character at all in the song.
>     And Organon (actually Orgonon) is the name of Reich's estate, not
>of a person!
>     Sorry for being so testy, but this has got to be the fortieth
>time IED has explained such rudimentary and obvious facts before in L-Hs.

Don't be so hard on them, IED.  Net news groups tend to go in circles, with
the same topics returning every so often.  New, unenlightened, people join
all the time and need to be educated to come up to speed with everyone else.

Perhaps you could come up with a directory of canned answers to these
questions.  Then, when one of these questions come up, you can select
the appropriate file with the answer and fire it off to questioner.

The "Cloudbusting" song isn't that obvious without knowing the story of
Peter Reich.  Thinking back to the first time I listened to it, it was
kindof unconnected.  It starts out with something about someone making
rain, then a long part about a radioactive yoyo, then a "big black car"
(limo?  Cadillac?) drives up and hauls the old man away (why?), then the "son"
is coming out, then finally "We're Cloudbusting, Daddy."  Cloudbusting???
Radioactive yoyo?  The connection that ties these all together is the
story of Peter Reich.  Then it makes sense.  But did anyone ever manufacture
a glow-in-the-dark radioactive yoyo?  Beats me, but it sounds plausible.

-andy