Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mailbag

From: jsd@gaffa.mit.edu (Jon Drukman)
Date: 27 Jul 89 23:42:48 GMT
Subject: Re: Mailbag
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: uucp@eddie.MIT.EDU

In article <8907271819.AA09638@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
>
>     Jon Drukman and Joe Turner both seem to share a sad, adolescent
>fear of direct expression of softer emotions in art.

You bet.  Art is not the place for songs about posies and red roses and
soft sunlight diffusing like a million optic fibers through your auburn
tresses while a string quartet plays a brilliant little piece off to the
left behind that gorgeous sequoia.  Art is about beer cans being smashed
into foreheads.  Art is about not being able to have your orgasm on the
Playboy Channel because of horrible noise interference.  Art is about the
reconciling of fundamentally irreconcilable objects.  Hence "Waking The
Witch" - brilliant piece of work.  ART in the highest sense.  Everything
else is just decent pop music, which ain't art.  But I don't want to get
into this, because I'm being really facetious and flip and off the cuff
here.  This is because all through high school my teachers constantly told
me that I was a good writer but didn't take things seriously enough.  So
here's my rebellion, a few years too late.

Anyway, I seem to have lost the main thread here.  Oh yeah, Andrew, wake
up and smell the coffee.  I ain't gettin' in touch with my "female side."
It sounds suspiciously illegal at the least, amoral at the best, and
completely disgusting.  How can I maintain my intensely macho image
otherwise?

For those interested in seeing more of my "female side," address your
correspondence in a plain brown wrapper.

BTW, me and my less female side will be making a smashing debut at the
East Coast Katemas party with a version of "Running Up That Hill" that
I've been working on that guarantees to send all purists Running For
The Hills.  Bring your audio and/or video recorders and don't miss out
on this once in a lifetime performance art spectacular.  It promises to
be more than I can handle.  Joe Turner is helping out with this, although
he just found out about it by reading this sentence.  The audience is
requested to bring oil drums, coke bottles and anything else that would
make a large percussive crash.

| Jon Drukman    | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | Freedom is a road seldom traveled by   |
| True Vulgarian | jsd@umass.bitnet  | the multitude...                       |