Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lyrics and Archives

From: Mark Anderson <manderso@ugly.cs.ubc.ca>
Date: 6 Jul 89 17:28 -0700
Subject: Lyrics and Archives

I have to thank IED for posting detailed lyrics for _Watching_You_
Without_Me_.  I can hardly wait to get home and play _The_Ninth_Wave_!!!
Re: updating the KB lyrics on the lyrics server, I think there is an update
command to do this...  Can you not mail to the server, IED?

To my great surprise I discovered last night that the ftp at our site is
no longer broken!  Of course, within no time I was on GAFFA.MIT.EDU snarfing
the first of the Love-Hounds archives!  And reading them (far too) late into
the night...

I've got archives 0001 through 0005 so far; up to September 1985, when HoL
had just been released.  That discussion makes for some interesting reading!
(|>oug was sure a lot more prolific back then!)  I wonder if we'll be
re-experiencing the same kind of excitement in a couple of months' time.

(A quote from the archives:

In September 1985, |>oug writes:
>Everything on "Hounds of Love" at least approaches the quality of "The
>Dreaming", and the side "The Ninth Wave" doesn't "approach" -- it is
>every bit as good!  You're right -- I can't stand it either!  What can
>she do now?  Where is there left to go?  Oh, I can't wait three more
>years for more!

And as it turns out, we've had to wait not 3 but 4 years!  A question for
|>oug: after 4 years, have your opinions changed in regard to the above
comparison?  Just curious...)

I hope that by the time Kate's new album is released, I will have had time
to read *all* of the archived Love-Hounds! (My vision is blurring just
thinking about it!)  From the first few archives alone, I've already run
across the first glimmerings of the great 'Does she die in _The_Ninth_Wave_?'
debate, lyrics from KT songs I don't have (yet), and some discussion on the
symbolism of the mule in _Get_Out_of_My_House_!

Definitely recommended reading for all dediKaTed Love-Hounds who haven't been
around since the very beginning!

Now, if some kind Love-Hound would mail me the Internet address of an ftp
server that has the KT bitmaps (and, if you can, approx. how big the files
are), I would be very grateful.
---
Mark Anderson <manderso@ugly.cs.ubc.ca>
{att!alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!{good,bad,ugly}!manderso
"Narrow mind would persecute it, die a little to get to it..."