Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

CD

From: fetrow@bones.biostat.washington.edu (Dave Fetrow)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 89 15:24:37 PDT
Subject: CD

 I just purchased a CD player, which was slightly disappointing. Classical
and Romantic music sounded vastly better but most of the contemporary
music wasn't helped a whole lot. An awful lot of people have been making
music with the limitations of vinyl in mind (e.g. no silences, not much
dynamic range, etc.).

 ...but Kate Bush was an exception. Wow (or should I say "Wow oh Wow oh Wow
oh Wow....UNBELIEVABLE"?). Now, not only won't my KB music wear out (even a
1 gram tonearm on clean vinyl takes its toll) but it sounds better.

 This is seriously old news for most of you no doubt, but I'm an awfully
happy guy about it. Not to mention the joys of a remote (yeah, let's hear
'Night of the Swallow' again while editing a bitmap) and the wonderous
ability to play the cuts in different orders which makes the recordings
seem fresher somehow (I wouldn't do that to 'The 9th Wave' of course).

 I didn't go for those new 6 CD changer/players. *SIGH* A 6 CD stack of
KB.

 If you've been putting off getting one: It's Time.

 I've even seen the comeback of the "Can I listen to it before I buy?"
places which, lately, I have only seen in used shops. Very heartening.

 -dave fetrow-                     fetrow@bones.biostat.washington.edu
 dfetrow@uwalocke (bitnet)         {uunet}!uw-beaver!uw-entropy!fetrow

"It's 1989! I'm supposed to take a language with `cards' in it seriously?"