Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 89 16:27 PDT
Subject: MisK.

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: IED

 >     Will you accept suggestions to add to the list:
 > Is Kate a vegetarian?
 > What does KT stand for?
 > When is Kate's next album due out?  :-)
 >
 >-- Douglas Krause                     CA Prop i:  Ban Gummie Bears(tm)!

 >I don't suppose there's been ANY new news on the new album, right? Last I
 >heard it was scheduled for November. As each month goes by and November gets
 >that much closer I keep expecting to hear that it's been pushed back 3 more
 >months. I guess no news is good news.

     IED wasn't kidding, folks. The new album really _was_ finished about
ten days ago, and it really _will_ be coming out in September.

 >And yes, we do have all the Kate albums.  We even have Experiment IV
 >tucked away somewhere, and we'd be more than willing to accept the non-LP
 >lyrics if they were properly formatted. (Request HELP/FORMAT from the
 >server for more info!)

     Since all your instructions read like pure Greek to this
computer illiterate, Jon, perhaps you could help with the formatting
yourself? Anyway, from what IED has seen of the KT lyrics in the
lyrics server file, they should all be dumped and replaced with IED's
_truly_ complete edition forthwith. IED's has all been transcribed, but
not in the correct format. If you tell him (_in_English_) how to format,
he'll do so and send it all to you to submit to the lyrics archive.

 >just seems... funny to me to send two EMPTY big puffy envelopes inside each
 >other to you. Empty except for the check of couse. But as I said, I can't

     Seems funny to IED, too, but strangely enough at least five of you have
packed a padded envelope inside _another_ padded envelope--as though a padded
envelope were fragile, or something. Just put the little padded envelope in
a normal manila envelope, folks. (Some of you had a different but logicalto
solution--simply to send a single padded envelope containing a label and
the check. IED is happy to put the label on the envelope and return the
tape that way.) Anyway, in other words, common sense will guide you
through.

 > Have you set a final date for the money to get to you?

     Yes. The final date IED will _receive_ money (i.e., you must send it
a few days earlier than this date for it to reach IED in time) is July 2.
That's because the people who are prompt should not have to wait any longer
because a few other people are late. Since the orders all have to go in
at the same time to get the lowest possible rate, there will be _no_
late orders accepted (at least not by IED, though perhaps other
recipients will be willing to make a copy upon request).

 >Back to the obsKuriTies topic, just HOW do people get their hands on these
 >rare demos? Steal them from record company archives? From Kate? Obviously,
 >Kate doesn't give them to people! Have these bootleggers had them for 14
 >years? Anyone know anything about this? Well, that's enough for today. Except

     A good question. IED doesn't know any details (probably no-one
but the bootleggers themselves do), but he was told by an apparently
knowledgeable source that the tapes originated from someone in the
Manchester Square, London offices of EMI--someone "high up" in the
corporate hierarchy. Who knows? The six demos from 1977 which IED
mentioned yesterday (but which he has never heard himself, and cannot
offer to Love-Hounds) would seem to support the idea of a leak at
EMI itself, since presumably those tapes were made after Kate had
definitely signed to EMI. This is also probably true of the 22 demos
that are now becoming generally available, although it is still
possible that those recordings were made prior to Kate's signing, and
therefore might be among some of the tapes which Kate submitted to
other labels.
     IED thinks it very unlikely that whoever got these tapes to the
bootleggers had had them for fourteen years (or whatever). Remember,
these are not the same as the "Early Years" demos, which have been
known about (though never heard) for at least four years now. Those
recordings may have been in bootleggers' hands for years, but the 22
demos in the _Cathy_Demos_ collection had never been heard of by fans
prior to the appearance of the _Volume_One_ EP two months ago.
     It goes without saying that all these demos came out _against_
Kate's wishes--very much so. IED has heard that she's _very_ upset
about this leak. He just hopes Kate can forgive L-Hs for their non-profit
distribution project...
     John Scheer asked IED about the possibility of doing a VHS Hi-Fi
version of the 22 songs. It's a possibility down the line, perhaps, but
at this point there's not even any real sign of sufficient interest
to meet the 50-tape minimum for a decent price on the simple audio-tape
transfer. Also wouldn't it be sensible to wait until either the remaining
18 songs came out on vinyl or the whole collection came out on CD before
attempting to do a really high-quality audio dub? Why make that extra
effort when IED's source tape is already less than optimal soundwise?
     Many of you have been very generous in sending more than the $6.50
and saying, in effect, "keep the change". This benevolence is much
appreciated, but IED will be sending all excess monies back to their
sources of origin nevertheless. To emulate our President, let there
not be even the _appearance_ of impropriety here...
     Only if the fifty-order limit is not reached by July 2 will IED
dip into the excess funds in order to meet the extra costs that will
be incurred in that situation. Let's all hope we can muster the
interest of thirty more Love-Hounds before then.
     Finally, here is the latest, complete list of people who have
ordered tapes (in no particular order) as of June 12:

     1. Scott Crumpton
     2. Stephen Carter
     3. Mark Semich
     4. Stephen Tynor
   5/6. Peter F. Hill (2 orders)
     7. James Mathiesen
     8. Tracy L. Roberts
     9. Michael Mendelson
    10. John Relph
    11. Julian West
    12. Pete Hartman
    13. Peter Shirley
    14. Maitland Bottoms
    15. Carol Kulik
    16. Rod Armstrong
 17/18. Sam Bell (2 orders)
    19. Garry Berg
    20. Ben Fine

     And remember, the mailing address is 10499 Wilkins Avenue, L.A.,
CA 90024.

-- IED