Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

serious commercial music

From: Glenn Bruns <bruns%sw.MCC.COM@MCC.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 May 89 13:57:19 CDT
Subject: serious commercial music

Re: Can commercially music can be regarded seriously?

If we both write equally serious music, but you somehow manage to
make your music accessible, haven't you accomplished something more
difficult than me?

Keith Richards once said (in Guitar Player magazine) that he regarded
his challenge when writing songs much like J.S. Bach's.  The problem
is to come up with something interesting and original when facing
tight constraints.  Bach had to obey the "rules" of counterpoint (no
parallel fifths, etc.); Richards had to obey the "rules" of basic
rock: 4/4 time, no more than three or four chords, etc.  True, the
rules aren't really rules, but if you break them much you will end up
in a different style.  If you try to add a bunch of fancy chords to a
rock tune you will be accused of jazz!

A similar question: if I have mastered only one style but you have
mastered many, haven't you accomplished more than me?

These questions lead to possible criteria for judging musical
greatness, like:

    o mastery of various styles
    o making one's work accessible
    o invention of a new but personal style
    o invention of a new and widely-adopted style

Glenn Bruns
MCC, Software Technology Program
arpa: bruns@mcc.com
uucp: {seismo,harvard,gatech,pyramid}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!bruns