Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Phase II

From: arc!ken@apple.com (Ken Stuart)
Date: Fri, 19 May 89 16:13:04 PDT
Subject: Re: Phase II
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Normally, I might refrain from flaming someone's personal tastes, but
this bozo couldn't seem to figure out how to follow the instructions,
and sent 208 lines to hundreds of thousands of USENET-ers.  To add
insult to injury, while his tastes are not strictly mainstream, they
are nevertheless *dumb*.

So, I offer this mathematical formula to derive any of the ratings he
gave:

	rating = 0.2 / A  +  0.5 / B  +  C  -  D

	where A = average age of artists in group - 20 ; i.e. the
			younger the better  don't trust anyone over 30

	      B = number of years group has been performing ; i.e. we
			hope they haven't been performing long ; that
			would be uncool and our parents or older
			brothers might like them ; plus then we can't
			claim to discover them.  Also, we will safely
			ignore that the people who get 0-1 on our list
			actually "produced" the albums that got 9-10.

	      C = special 2 points for influencing other high scorers

	      D = special 2 points (deducted) for being influenced by
			classical music

(No, I didn't really figure out the mathematics of 0.2 and 0.5 above,
they're just approximations.)[The idea for this type of equation comes
from Spy Magazine.]

Why does this guy like Kate Bush?  Or does he?
--
                                      - Ken
Reply to : apple!arc!ken         \ Disclaimer: All the above is solely