Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: "Joe Habermann" <haberman@cs.umn.edu>
Date: 19 May 89 05:50:23 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU

From: haberman@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Joe Habermann)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Sun raster files...
Date: 19 May 89 05:50:23 GMT

In article <8905190051.AA00787@xal.Berkeley.EDU>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: @GAFFA.MIT.EDU:peter@xal (Peter Freeman)
>

> Could someone in the know please E-mail me info about how I can get Kate
> raster files for 'suntools -background'?  I seem to remember someone offering
> an anonymous ftp address about a year ago (?).

That was me, for one.  The image of Kate that is on the cover of TWS can
be retrieved via anonymous ftp from umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (128.101.224.1)
in the directory pub/kb.

> Assume computer illiteracy in any response.  Thanks.

Ouch.  Well, here goes nothing...

The picture is in three formats:

	(1) kb.reg

	    A F/S rendered 1-bit rasterfile.  Will work with regular
	    resolution Sun monitors.  It's so-so.

	(2) kb.highres

	    An F/S rendered 1-bit rasterfile.  Will work with high-res
	    monitors.  Better than the regular size.

	(3) kb.8bit

	    The original 8-bit deep greyscale.  NOT useful for
	    suntools -background because suntools accepts only 1-bit
	    deep rasterfiles.  Could use with NeWS, but makes life
	    slowwwwww.  Anyway, a way to do it is to refine PaintRoot
	    in your .user.ps file:

	    (/path/for/kates/image/kb.8bit) readcanvas
	    /pic exch def
	    /PaintRoot {
	        framebuffer setcanvas clippath pathbbox scale pop pop
	            pic imagecanvas } def

All of the images are compressed and thus have the .Z extension.  They
must be uncompressed after they're retrieved before they are useful.

How to get them via anonymous ftp:

1. % ftp 128.101.224.1
2. ftp> <Name>...: anonymous
3. ftp> <Password>: [use your home machine user id - don't give your passwd!!]
4. ftp> cd pub/kb [changes your directory to where the images are]
5. ftp> binary [sets ftp into "binary" mode.  Important!]
6. ftp> hash [optional]
7. ftp> get kb.reg.Z  [and/or other kb files]
8. ftp> bye
9. % uncompress kb.reg.Z

Ask your local sys/admin for help if you have trouble.

Joe Habermann / haberman@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu / ...!rutgers!umn-cs!haberman