Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Cloudbusting

From: jw@math.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 16 May 89 13:50:09 EDT
Subject: Cloudbusting

An interesting new entry in the new edition of Chambers
(Chambers English Dictionary, 1988):

_Reichian_ rihh'i-@n, adj.
    of or pertaining to the theory or practice of Wilhelm Reich,
    Austrian-born psychiatrist (1897-1957), esp. the concept of
    a universal, sexually-generated life energy termed `orgone'.
    _Reichian_therapy_ (also without cap.) therapy designed to
    release inhibited or disterbed energies by  the use of
    massages, controlled breathing, etc. -- also called _bioenergetics_.

_bioenergetics_ receives a second, unrelated definition. _Reichian_
did not make it into the previous edition (Chambers 20th Century
Dictionary, 1983), but _orgone_ did:

_orgone_(_energy_) o:r'go|n (en'@r-ji),
    according to Wilhelm Reich, a vital force permeating the universe,
    which, concentrated in a specially made _orgone_box_, could
    cure certain diseases. [_org_asm and suff. -one indicating
    chemical derivative.]

There is a newly published book about Reich available in Britain.
Actually, it is a new English translation of a previously available
German text. I have a few reviews from the British press. If I
ever remember to bring them to work, I'll type them in.

                            Julian