Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Toni Childs (a.k.a. Toni of The Movers ??)

From: rael@cbnews.ATT.COM (c.daniel.vanevic)
Date: 26 Apr 89 18:08:55 GMT
Subject: Toni Childs (a.k.a. Toni of The Movers ??)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hello Love_Hounds!  It's nice to have access once again to netnews after
about a two year absence.  Nice to see IED still writing brief and to the
point ;-) and |>oug is keeping him in line.

But enough of that ... I've got a question that maybe someone in the group
can answer.  In 80-81, while attending Caltech, me and my friends used to
go to Madame Wong's in Santa Barbara to listen to a group called "Toni and
the Movers".  They were an excellent band, always lots of fun and Toni was
wild.  They were supposed to put out an EP titled "Bitches and Bastards",
unfortunately I don't know if that was ever done (I was not able to find a
copy even though I tried really hard).

About a month or so ago I was looking through the TV Guide and saw an
article on the Grammys (or is it Emmys ?) that listed a female singer from
Santa Barbara called "Toni Childs".  The picture kind of looked like Toni,
but my memories of those days are somewhat hazy (no need to elaborate on
why) and so I'm not really sure.  I ended up buying her album "Union" and,
while it is OK, it sounds a little bit too "pop" for the Toni I remember.
Her voice also seemed a little bit slurrier than what I remember, but then
again it wouldn't surprise me if she got into a fight and lost a tooth or
two.

Well ... that's about all the info I can provide.  Does anybody know if
"Toni Childs" and Toni of the Movers are the same person ?  Has anyone
out there heard or seen "Toni and the Movers" ever ?  Would anyone out
there have a copy of the "Bitches and Bastards" EP (keep hope alive!) ?

					Dan Vanevic
					rael@cbnews.ATT.COM