Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tanita Tikaram (nothing to do with tape distribution!)

From: steves@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Schonberger)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 89 02:50:13 CDT
Subject: Tanita Tikaram (nothing to do with tape distribution!)

Tonight I went to the Tanita Tikaram concert at the Fine Line Music
Cafe in Minneapolis.  The show started with a good, local musician who
sang and played piano.  I didn't catch his name, but I think he's only
warming up on the show here, rather than travelling with her tour.

Tanita Tikaram started playing around 9:25, and played 70 solid
minutes, with only momentary breaks between songs to announce some of
them and introduce her backing band members.  She did this in an
interesting way, by giving their names and directing the spotlight at
them on songs that emphasized their part.  She had a young woman
playing violin, and guys playing keyboards, drums, bass, and guitar or
sax.  She played guitar when the last guy was on the sax.  After a
shorter than usual (maybe two minutes) encore break she returned for
about 15 more minutes.  A little more than half of the show was songs
from _Ancient Heart_, and the rest were unfamiliar, presumably in
preparation for her next release.  She did a lot of music for a debut
tour.

She played for real, not from tapes, and played well.  The mixing was
less well done.  On the first song (a future release) it was so muddy
that I couldn't make out the lyrics even though I listened carefully,
people weren't too loud, and the place had good sound.  It improved
somewhat on the second song, and was very good on the third, "Twist in
my Sobriety".  It stayed good the rest of the show except when the
backing band switched around instruments a lot, which apparently
unbalanced the mixing.  Mixing problems aside, the show was well done.

On stage, she seemed very nervous, probably a little more nervous than
even Sinead O'Connor.  The little speaking she did in between some of
the songs she was very hesitant.  She didn't show hesitation in her
singing, but looked nervous.  Her band looked real comfortable on the
stage.  I suppose they've toured with people before her.  The shyness
didn't seem to hurt the music though.  I think she's just young.

I'd reccomend this concert if it's in your area, as a must if you like
her.

For the uniniated, Tanita Tikaram is a woman from England.  She sounds
most like Suzanne Vega and Sinead O'Connor, except that her voice is
very low, and that she arranged the album and the music is quite
different.  It has more a blues and rhythm and blues sound to it
though.  It's tough to describe someone's music, so don't flame me too
much for it.

For Minnesota people, the dinner and drinks were very good, and the
place was nice.  I can't think of much more to tell, except that it's
a show to see and I should have taken some notes to make this review
more informative.

        Steve

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax,amdahl!bungia,chinet,killer}!orbit!pnet51!steves
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!steves@nosc.mil
INET: steves@pnet51.cts.com
"Ask me about Control Data's excellent severance benefits."