Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Cathy Demos

From: "David J. McClurkin" <djmcclur@ai.toronto.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 89 15:02:58 EDT
Subject: Cathy Demos

Put my name down for two copies, please.

Dave McClurkin
Fri, 14 Apr 89 09:24:30 EDT
NFrom: sorsby@hc.dspo.gov (Charlie Sorsby)
NMessage-ID: <8904141324.AA13676@hc.dspo.gov>
NOriginal-To: firearms@cis.ohio-state.edu
NSubject: Re:  Bans & prices
NNewsgroups: list.firearms
NDistribution: list
NSender: list-admin@ai.toronto.edu
NApproved: list.firearms@mail.ai.toronto.edu
N> They'll have as much luck banning hand/shot/assault guns here as we
N							   ^^^^
NWhere is here? <__________________________________________/
NAnyway, I hope you are right but suggest that you don't become complacent.
N> had permitting concealed weapons.  Every year, legislation is proposed
NIf you ever lose *any* of your firearms rights, they will be as difficult
Nto regain as it is to obtain the right to concealed carry...  Be alert!
N> in both directions; the bills almost always die in committee.  Net effect
N> is that the gun & self-defense laws have changed very little in many
N> years.
N> I attribute the sky-high prices to the same motivation that is driving
N> gas prices through the roof - greed.  They have a good excuse to raise
NNo question about that!
N> prices for a while, and stick it to a few paranoid suckers.  In time,
N> when the demand drops to near-zero, the prices will go back down.  Gun
NMaybe, but I'll be very surprised if they drop *all* the way back.  Same
Nas gasoline.  And remember the coffee shortage of a few years ago?  As I
Nrecall, the coffee growers, supposedly had a bad season and coffee was
Nscarce.  Before that the price was somewhere around a dollar a pound.
NIt quickly shot up to something like five or six dollars a pound and
Nthen when the "shortage" was over, the price declined to about three
Ndollars a pound.  What is it now?  About three dollars a pound, I think.
NI'm betting that, barring a ban, that is exactly what will happen with
Nthis class of firearms.  Too pessimistic?  We'll see.
N> prices, that is; I doubt the gas prices will ever go down.
N> J.Baker.
NCharlie Sorsby						"I'm the NRA!"
N	crs@lambda.lanl.gov
N	sorsby@hc.dspo.gov