Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"babooshka" (was Re: Armageddon, or some such ...)

From: mcrware!jejones@uunet.UU.NET (James Jones)
Date: 7 Apr 89 15:25:03 GMT
Subject: "babooshka" (was Re: Armageddon, or some such ...)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <63@lennon.austek.oz> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>On a different note, I vaguely recall hearing that Babooshka is a
>figure from Russian mythology. Can anyone confirm or deny this, and
>supply a little more information ?

Like the summary sez, "babooshka" is Russian for grandmother (literally it's
"mother" with a diminutive tacked on the end).  The only thing I can figure
is that KB (or the character in the song) only knew that it was foreign and
exotic-sounding, because I can't say I find grandmothers very seductive.
(If I ever become a grandfather, I may change my mind about that. :-)

	James Jones