Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Haircut 100

From: bland@enel.UCalgary.CA (Henry Cliffor Bland)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 89 19:46:04 EST
Subject: Re: Haircut 100
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Michael Portuesi <mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Does anybody know of any albums from Haircut 100 other than "Pelican
> West", or were they really that short-lived?  What happened to the
> members of the band after they broke up?

> I recently picked up a copy of "Pelican West" for the sake of having
> "Love Plus One", but found the rest of the album to be much better
> than I had expected it to be (read: I liked it).

Some of the original members of Haircut 100 (Fox, Nemes, Smith, Jones
but not Nick Heyward) put out an album in 1984 called
_Paint_and_Paint_ (Polydor HCLP 1).  I picked it up in the UK but
haven't seen it anywhere else.  It still has elements of what made
_Pelican_West_ musically appealing: a great groove, good bass playing,
great percussion, solos by instruments *other than guitar*, and catchy
(if not deep) song writing.  It still has the familiar Haircut 100
rhythm guitar playing (even without Hayward).

Nick Heyward put out three solo albums (that I know of) - most notably
his first, _North_of_a_Miracle_ (Arista) which was produced by Geoff
Emerick.

I would be enthusiastic to hear more about the band.  Although they
were musically sound, many wrote them off because they were promotted
as teenage idols - too bad.

Henry Bland   BITnet: BLAND@UNCANET