Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: Pink Floyd and ATOM HEART MOTHER

From: barth@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Richards)
Date: 28 Mar 89 21:28:39 GMT
Subject: re: Pink Floyd and ATOM HEART MOTHER
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Really-From: Michael Fischer <MFISCHER%SBCCVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>

>   On a slightly similar topic... I've been meaning to ask the Love-Hounds'
>bank of infinite knowledge this question that has been bothering me for
>a while: What year was Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother" released? I own the
>CD and cannot find a date or copyright notice anywhere. Does this mean I
>can copy it!?!? I don't know where to put it in my collection (chronologically
>that is). Can anyone help?

ATOM HEART MOTHER was released in 1970.  Chronilogically, Pink Floyd's
albums up to AHM go:

     PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN (1967)
     A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS (1968)
     MORE (1969)
     UMMAGUMMA (1969)
     ATOM HEART MOTHER (1970)

Really-From: wdh@linus.MITRE.ORG (W. Dale Hall)

>Regarding the question of "when was Atom Heart Mother recorded", on
>which I have no further information, I've just obtained what appears
>to be an old bootleg:
>
>	The Screaming Abdabs:	"Rhapsody in Pink
>				-- the Psychedelic Years"
>
>The cover indicates it's from a series of BBC sessions, but there is
>no date information of any sort.  The tracks include such PF favorites
>as "Echoes", "Atom Heart Mother Suite", "Careful With That Axe,
>Eugene", "If", and "One of These Days I'm Going to Cut You Into Little
>Pieces", plus things I haven't heard on other PF albums.

I've seen this bootleg, but passed on it, because I already had all of the
recordings on other bootlegs.  "The Atom Heart Mother Suite," "Careful With
That Axe, Eugene," and "If" are from the 1970 John Peel session.  "Echoes"
and "One of These Days" are from the 1971 John Peel session.  The other
tracks were from earlier BBC performances (most or all of which were for John
Peel as well).

>On the other hand,
>maybe this bootleg is a re-compilation, without redeeming historical
>value.  Does anyone out there have more info?

It is a compilation, of sorts, of BBC recordings.  The bootleg LIVE
1967-1969 has a more complete set of their earlier BBC performances, and
there are myriad boots of the 1970 and 1971 Peel sessions floating about.

Really-From: claris!wombat@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Scott Lindsey)

>My, but we seem to be digressing off into Pink Floyd land...
>Pink Floyd used to have this interesting habit of performing music that they
>were currently working on/writing.  As a result, many a fan in the '70's

(and, through the magic of bootlegging, in the '80s as well)

>got
>to hear strange and unusual versions of Pink Floyd songs years, even, before
>they released the album.

And often, they played material that never made it onto any (legitimate) album.
To wit: "The Embryo," (Though it eventually showed up on the WORKS compilation
quite a few years after they stopped playing it live, it was an unfinished
studio demo that was a pale shadow of the 1970 and 1971 concert versions.)
"Corrosion," "Reaction In G," "One In A Million," "Vegtable Man," "Scream
Thy Last Scream," etc.

  888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
  88                                                                       88
  88  Language is a virus from outer space.          Barth Richards        88
  88                                                 AT&T Bell Labs        88
  88                                                 Naperville, IL        88
  88         - William S. Burroughs                  !att!ihlpl!barth      88