Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Basic Question

From: raspail!steve%raspail.cdcnet.LOCAL@shamash.cdc.com (Steve Schonberger)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 89 18:25:06 CST
Subject: Re: Basic Question
News-Path: punjab!shamash!tank!ncar!mailrus!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!bloom-beacon!GAFFA.MIT.EDU!Love-Hounds-request

> Really-From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@m.cs.uiuc.edu>
>
> As a relatively new KB fan, I have what must be a fundamental
> question:
>
>                 What is Gaffa?

Gaffa is a mythical material invented by Kate Bush to give them
things to discuss in fan publications, such as this newsgroup.

>                 What does it mean to be suspended in it?

It means that the newsgroup is so full of discussion of what
small, but by no means inconsequential, words or phrases mean
that it doesn't have room anymore for other kinds of discussions.

As an aside, the line "we let the weirdness in" is a reference
to what happens to some Usenet news sites and Internet mailing
list machines when very large articles (4600 lines or more) are
posted to rec.music.gaffa and its corresponding mailing list.

                  :-)

                   ^
                  This is a smiley.  Read news.announce.newusers
                  for an explanation of how it applies to this note.

        Steve Schonberger