Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Opal / E'G

From: John M. Relph <relph@presto.ig.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1989 16:26:31 PST
Subject: Opal / E'G

From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>First, since the Music For Films-x (0<x<4) question has been levied, we
>also want to know why (WHY WHY) Opal has III, and whatever has happened to
>EG Records proper?  Like has EG & Editions EG become Opal?  Previous "stars"
>were on Warner Bros. in the US, so is this a trend?  We haven't seen any
>new EG recordings released within the last year or so.

Opal is Brian Eno's record company.  But it's more than a record
company, it also handles publishing, the newsletter, marketing the
"Oblique Strategies" card set, etc.  E'G and Editions E'G are still
around.  The latest League of Crafty Guitarists release
(cassette-only) is on E'G.  Toyah's latest album (_Prostitute_) is on
Editions E'G (or possibly E'G).  So E'G is definitely still around.

One problem is that E'G were marketed in the U.S. by JEM Records.  JEM
recently went bankrupt, and Virgin picked up the JEM catalog.  But
there was a six-month (or less) lull where nothing in the JEM catalog
was available (unless it was already in the store).

	-- John