Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stuff and nonsense

From: "Liz Owens, Microcomputer Product Center, 491-3889"<BABOOSHKA@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 89 09:38 CST
Subject: Stuff and nonsense

Well, greetings to you all.  I hope the holidays were pleasant.
Santa was kind enought to drop a CD player in Auntie Lizoo's stocking, so I
have had a nice time playing with that.  I bought my first 2 CDs, which were,
of course, Kate--HoL and The Dreaming.  Very nice, very nice indeed!

Just a couple things have come up in the newsletter since the holidays that
I would like to take up.

I could talk about Reich--that does, after ll, seem to be the hot topic these
days.  I will just say that I agree with IED that _A_Book_of_Dreams_ is a child-
hood memoir.  I found it a wonderful book, but I also found that I was cursing
it the whole way through because I wanted to know what Peter thought as an
adult.  I can say that I haven't read any of Reich's works, but I know a little
about what he did.  Did you know that some scientists who follow Reich's
works think that VDTs give off DOR (deadly orgone).  I know that I have managed
to blame almost everything from bad weather to the sorry state of my love life
on DOR, which makes it a convenient thing to know about.  After all, it's not
your fault--it was just the damn atmosphere!

Someone a few days back mentioned Pat Benatar's cover of Wuthering Heights.
This song lead me to Kate fandom.  My sophomore year roommate played this for
me, and I fell in love with the song.  I finally thought to look to see who
wrote this, and saw Kate Bush.  The name rang a bell with me, since my previous
roommate (a true sophistocate) told me that if I went to England, all I had
to do was to say "Kate Bush" and I could have the key to anything.  I raised
an eyebrow at this statement, but what can you say?  The first Kate song I ever
heard was "Babooshka," which my roommate played for me in late 1982. I disre-
garded it completely, as I did so often with anything she said, until I heard
WH.  I bought _TKI_ and the rest is history.

I am very pleased with this CD thing so far.  Considering I ruined my first
copy of _TWS_ by dropping it in the snow while I was turning the tape over
in my Walkman, I much prefer this non-volitile media.  I think I may see how
many copies of the albums I can collect.  I could use a third one of _TKI_, as I
have it on American tape, a French cassette version (with the original cover!),
   and now I want it on CD.  Sigh.

I have to go work now, as that's what pays for new CDs, so I'll see y'all soon.

Love to all,
Lizooshka

"I'm reeling in the music and I've only had a few...."